Sunday, October 23, 2011

Blog Post #9

In Mr. McClung's post What I've learned This Year 2008-09 He talks about what to expect...and to completely forget it. He mentions how initially he thought it was all about him, the teacher. He soon realized that it is always 100% about the students. I've had teachers that just didn't want to teach that day and they just put in a movie for us. Okay, I admit it, I enjoyed it a few times, but seriously? How is that helping our education? I look back now an appreciate those teachers that pushed our class to meet it's full potential. For Mr. McClung to realize that it is not about the teacher, but rather the students, shows how he has grown in his teaching career.
In his other post, What I've Learned This Year 2010-11 I noticed that there was still the focus on 'student centered' learning. I am impressed by Mr. McClung's mentality as a teacher! He seems like a very hands on type of teacher, and from what I read from his blogs, any student would be lucky to have him to call their teacher. In this post he also mentions that he tries daily to maintain a positive outlook. Have you ever had one of those teachers that is just in a sour mood constantly? and you feel like you can't ask them questions without getting their wrath? Mr. McClung seems the complete opposite of that! Mr. McClung has grown in so many ways as an educator and I know that his students appreciate all of his efforts.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Lindsey! You seem to do well relating to the blog posts personally instead of just summarizing. This is good! We are happy that you can find some way to relate or apply them to you. Self-reflection will help you more in determining the type of teacher you want to be than being able to summarize :)
    Keep up the good work!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the same experiences as a student where teachers would let their students be free from a day of work because they didn't feel like teaching and that is horrible, but at the time, I too thought that it was the best thing. When I think about those teachers who were always on top of keeping their students educated I realize that they were the best teachers by far. I now appreciate them for making it easier to cope with the challenges that come along with being a college student. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete