Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blog Post #10


Do you Teach or Do you Educate? is a video that describes the difference between teaching and educating. I have always wanted to become an educator, and to insprire children is worth it all to me. Teaching children, in my opinion, is the minimum I could do. Being an educator involves so much more. When I shadowed my third grade teacher for a highschool club, she said one thing that will forever stick out in my mind. She said, "students are with their teachers 5 days a week, for several hours a day. You know these children inside and out pretty much." I took that as, you have to be a constant role model to these children. I want my future students to be able to be comfortable around me. Unfortunantly, some children will see their teachers more than they see their parents. As sad as that is, it is true. I want to be more than just a 3rd grade teacher to them, I want to better their lives in some way.
I fully intend on being an educator rather than a one-sided teacher. By one-sided, I mean that they just assign problems, read book chapters, and grade tests... yeah, that's it. Get it? I want to be so much more to my students. I want them to be excited to come to my class and to truly want to learn. I can be an educator by myself being enthused. Generic projects that have been around since your parents time won't be included in my curriculum if I can help it. I remember teachers who have done this with my class, and I now realize how much of an impact they have had on me. I am excited for my role not only as a teacher, but as an educator!

1 comment:

  1. You didn't address the Johnson post. We will assume you missed the metaphor.

    Additional Assignment: Read these four posts:

    1. The original assignment: Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home

    1. Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

    In that post there is a Special Assignment. Do that assignment in a new post which is Additional Post #1. It does NOT substitute for Blog Post #14 as it did in the Spring semester.

    Due midnight Sunday November 20, 2011.

    2. Metaphor Discussion Update

    3. Jennifer Asked: Why Use Metaphors? Here is My Answer

    4. For more information also see:
    You Missed the Point! It's Not A Pencil…"

    ReplyDelete