Saturday, November 19, 2011

Additional Post # 1

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
I am a very straight forward type of reader, Sarcasm is not the first thing I look for in a post. In a video, sarcasm is very apparent to me and I can pick up on it in a second. With reading this blog post, it did not jump out at me. I have to read it over and over again. The metaphor, to me, was hidden within the post.

2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
I come across metaphors on a daily basis. On Pinterest, I saw a perfect example of one. "Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly." That is one of my favorites. Also, What a Wonderful Day to be a Cow is a great book full of metaphors. "It's not exactly rocket surgery"and "We'll burn that bridge when we get to it" are just a few that I've heard today.

3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
Most students do not understand the exact definition of a metaphor. A metaphor is a literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible thing or some intangible quality or idea. I know that students have all heard of angel hair pasta, or that they would "kill" to own that video game. We use metaphors daily! Maybe students just don't know how to recognize them off the top of their head. I think that if more exercises were done on metaphors, students could strengthen their use of metaphors.

noodles
4. Why do we use metaphors?
I think people use metaphors to involve that creative aspect into it. For example, noodles. No one likes to eat plain noodles. We all love alfredo sauce, meatballs, and parmesan cheese on our noodles! That right there is a metaphor. Taboo subjects can be discussed with the use of a metaphor, too. Without metaphors, communication amongst people would be boring, dry and not entertaining in the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment