Saturday, November 19, 2011

Blog Post #13

apple blackberry technology
This was one of the hardest assignments that we have had this semester. Basically, my days include having my cell phone, my computer and television all nearby. Without these devices I didn't know what to do at first, then I got productive with my day. Cleaning my dorm room, catching up on some reading from one of myfavorite book series were just a couple of the things that I did, but were not on top of my to do list. I would have done homework but the computer was forbidden. It was nice to just relax for the day and not do anything I didn't want to. I'm not going to lie and say that it was easy, I had to start over a couple of times due to a phone call from my parents and a message from my sorority that was crucial to see at the moment. I had told my friends that I was going to be MIA for the day, and though some of them had forgotten, and called or texted me, they were supportive. It was actually nice to be cut off from the world. Having all of the technology taken away made me appreciate the things in life that I often overlook. For Dr. Baggett's class we were assigned a tree to draw, and there is a beautiful tree right outside of our sorority's house. Since I had no other obligations, I decided to go outside and start sketching that tree. It was a peaceful kind of day and I would have never taken advantage of it had I been inside on facebook, watching television. I will definitely try to incorporate these kind of days into my life more often! When I have my own classroom, I imagine that my students will be even more into technology than today's students. Most of them will know even more than I do! That's scary to think of. Of course I will have technology in my classroom, but there will also be a balance of blogwork and work that involves markers and gluesticks. I believe that balance is key!

2 comments:

  1. It is great that you were able to give up technology for a day! It is really refreshing to do. One time my family and I gave up TV for 40 days.It was very hard at first and then got very easy. Your post is great and I enjoyed reading it. Good job! EDM is almost over and I want to wish you the best in all of your educational pursuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey,
    Great job! It seems like you had a very nice day actually! Sometimes we are surprised by just how nice it can be to not have technology organizing and infiltrating so many aspects of our lives! It is good that you found some way to make it relaxing instead of being distracted by wanting to text or call or tweet or facebook. I know it would be hard for me! I also appreciate that you are anticipating creating a balance in your classroom of old school crafts (that no child's education should go without for sure) and technology to enhance your instruction.
    Keep up the good work!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete